Completing this degree fulfills requirements for licensure in Health and Physical Education (PK-12) in Virginia. Students complete a student teaching experience in their final semester.
Students entering as freshmen with an interest in majoring in physical education will initially be accepted with BPRE status (Pre-Bachelor in Health and Physical Education). Students must successfully complete a minimum of 45 credits and attain a cumulative GPA of 2.50 to apply to the BSED in Physical Education Program. In addition:
- Required: submit passing score of 470 on the VCLA Reading and Writing or passing scores on approved substitute tests
- have earned passing grades in
- have earned at least 10 professional points.
Degree-Seeking Transfer Students
Transfer students can apply for BSEd status by having:
- earned a minimum of 45 credits from their previous institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or by completing 12 credits at Mason with a minimum of a 2.50 GPA;
- Required 470 composite score on the VCLA Reading and Writing or passing scores on approved substitute tests.
- have earned passing grades in
- earned at least 10 professional points.
For policies governing all undergraduate degrees, see the AP.5 Undergraduate Policies section of the catalog.
Student Teaching Internship
- have a minimum 2.50 GPA in the last 60 credits of coursework
- have passed and electronically submitted test scores for the VCLA and PRAXIS II exams to George Mason University and provide a paper copy of the test scores to the internship coordinator
- have satisfactorily completed all required Mason core and professional concentration courses
- have successfully completed an emergency First Aid, CPR and AED certification or training.
- Fall Semester—February 1
- Spring Semester—September 1
Total credits: 120
|Quantitative Reasoning (Mason Core) (recommended course)|
|Western Civilization/World History||3|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences||3|
|BIOL 124||Human Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|BIOL 125||Human Anatomy and Physiology||4|
Note: Students are not permitted to enroll in HEAL 405 Teaching Methods in Health Education (K-12), PHED 308 Adapted Physical Education, PHED 403 Elementary School Instruction in Physical Education, PHED 404 Middle and High School Instruction in Physical Education, and PHED 415 Student Teaching in Physical Education (Mason Core), until they have met all BSEd application requirements.
|ATEP 300||Functional Anatomy||3|
|EDRD 300||Literacy in Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education||3|
|EDUC 302||Human Growth and Development||3|
|HEAL 110||Personal Health||3|
|HEAL 200||School and Community Safety||1|
|HEAL 250||Introduction to School Health||3|
|HEAL 405||Teaching Methods in Health Education (K-12) 1||3|
|KINE 310||Exercise Physiology I||3|
|PHED 202||Teaching Skillful Movement 1||3|
|PHED 218||Technology in Health and Physical Education||3|
|PHED 273||Net and Target Games||3|
|PHED 274||Dance and Educational Gymnastics||3|
|PHED 275||Field and Invasion Games||3|
|PHED 276||Health-Related Fitness Education||3|
|PHED 306||Psychomotor Learning||3|
|PHED 308||Adapted Physical Education 1||3|
|PHED 320||Student Assessment in Health and Physical Education||3|
|PHED 340||Social and Cultural Issues in Physical Education (Satisfies the university Writing Intensive requirement)||3|
|PHED 403||Elementary School Instruction in Physical Education 1||3|
|PHED 404||Middle and High School Instruction in Physical Education 1||3|
|PHED 415||Student Teaching in Physical Education (Mason Core) 2||12|
|RMGT 316||Leadership and Outdoor Education||3|
|Select 9 credits in electives.||9|
Requires a grade of C or better.
Students must complete student teaching (PHED 415 Student Teaching in Physical Education (Mason Core) within 5 years of completing PHED 202 Teaching Skillful Movement. If more than five years has lapsed from taking PHED 202 Teaching Skillful Movement and student teaching (PHED 415 Student Teaching in Physical Education (Mason Core), students will have to retake this foundational course before they can student-teach.
Professional Development and Fitness Requirement
Students must earn at least 10 professional development points to achieve BSEd status and 20 additional points to apply for student teaching. Professional development points may be earned by attending or volunteering at various events and activities.
Additionally, students will be expected to achieve and maintain the healthy zone of health related fitness as measured by FitnessGram® throughout their program. Accommodations will be made for students with documented physical disabilities.