College Code: E1

The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) is committed to excellence, innovation, and collaboration in research and the preparation of professionals for the highest levels of practice and service in diverse schools, organizations, and communities.

CEHD provides leadership in transforming schools, organizations, and communities through research, teaching, and collaboration. CEHD faculty members prepare scholars and practitioners through multidisciplinary programs of study that facilitate the understanding, integration, and application of knowledge. Through research activities, faculty and students expand and refine the knowledge base for teaching and learning. In response to the richness and complexity of a pluralistic society, CEHD infuses diversity into academic programs and research. The faculty develops and supports knowledgeable, caring, and reflective professionals who facilitate excellence and equity for all learners. CEHD students and faculty demonstrate their growth and development in ways meaningful to their communication and professional organizations. Innovative programs and the integration of technology provide opportunities for students to develop, examine, evaluate, and practice professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions.

Degrees, Minors, and Certificates

CEHD offers a doctoral degree along with graduate and undergraduate degrees, certificates, and minors.

The School of Sport, Recreation and Tourism Management and the School of Kinesiology collaborate with the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Public HealthSchool of BusinessCollege of ScienceCollege of Engineering and ComputingCollege of Visual and Performing Arts, and the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter School for Peace and Conflict Resolution to offer minors and certificates in interdisciplinary areas of study. Students may elect to take a minor in addition to their major field of study. For policies governing all minors, see AP.5.3.4 Minors.

In addition, the School of Education collaborates with the College of ScienceCollege of Humanities and Social Sciences, and College of Engineering and Computing to offer undergraduate secondary education certificates and the College of Visual and Performing Arts (Schools of Music and Theater) to provide programs in music and theater education that can lead to Virginia teaching licensure. 


In addition to the policies stated in Academic Policies, the following policies and procedures apply to all students in the college.

Communication Policy

All correspondence from the program, school, college, and university administration is sent to the student's official Mason e-mail account. Students must use their Mason e-mail account to communicate with their programs and other administrative units.

CEHD Academic Policies

Students are ultimately responsible for their academic progress towards their degrees and/or certificates. They are strongly advised to consult Academic Policies for information concerning university-wide requirements for degree and non-degree students in addition to those for this college. Students with questions regarding academic policies and college-level requirements should contact the CEHD Student and Academic Affairs Office (Thompson Hall, Suite 2200; 703-993-2080; Additional policy information and forms are available online.

CEHD Grading Policy

All CEHD undergraduate and graduate students are held to the university grading policies as described in AP.3 Grading.  Those students enrolled in a CEHD licensure program have higher minimum grade requirements which are detailed in each specific program's page.

Grade Appeals

For courses taken within the College of Education and Human Development, students may appeal grades that they believe were assigned unjustly or were based on unclear criteria in accordance with Academic Policies. Students who would like to contest a course grade should first contact their instructor for clarification. If a mutually satisfactory resolution is not reached, the student may submit a formal grade appeal to the CEHD Office of Student and Academic Affairs (SAA) for program-level and/or college review. For more information regarding the grade appeal process, please refer to the SAA website.

Study Elsewhere

Once enrolled in degree status at Mason, undergraduate students with fewer than 60 hours of transfer coursework (not including registration through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area or coursework completed through the Global Education Office) may take up to twelve credits of coursework in CEHD disciplines at another institution. Students with 60 or more hours of transfer coursework are not permitted to take additional coursework in CEHD disciplines at another institution. A student may seek permission for additional hours beyond these limits for summer registration if his/her permanent residence is more than fifty miles from the Fairfax campus. Students who enroll elsewhere without advance written permission will not receive transfer credit for the coursework taken at another institution unless they re-apply for admission to Mason as transfer applicants and meet all priority deadlines. Re-admission is not guaranteed and transfer credit is awarded based upon course equivalencies in effect at the time of re-admission. Courses previously attempted at Mason (including withdrawals) cannot be taken elsewhere.

Professional Teacher Licensure

CEHD is responsible for professional courses, special standards, and licensure recommendations for students completing state-approved (Virginia) licensure programs that prepare teachers, administrators, counselors, and related-instructional personnel.

Initial teacher licensure is available at the undergraduate level in elementary education, early childhood education for diverse learners, special education, and secondary education: biology, chemistry, computer science, earth science, English, health and physical education, mathematics, music, and physics. Initial teacher licensure is available at the graduate level in art, early childhood, elementary, English as a second language, foreign language, secondary, and theater arts. The Special Education Program offers initial teacher licensure through graduate certificates that include Adapted CurriculumGeneral Curriculum, and Visual Impairments.

For more information please contact the CEHD Office of Admissions (Thompson Hall, Suite 1700; 703-993-2892; Additional information is available online.

Notes on Background Checks and Licensure

The majority of Mason CEHD programs require multiple field experiences. Our school and agency partners require Mason students to be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check prior to field experience work. Students must assume the risk that classes may be deferred and their program delayed due to the individual severity of notations on such a check and review by individual agencies.

George Mason University will verify completion of the requirements of a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) state-approved preparation program at the graduate or undergraduate level. Such verification does not guarantee the issuance of Virginia Collegiate Professional, Postgraduate Professional, or Pupil Personnel license from the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is solely the student's responsibility to comply with all requirements for licensure by the Commonwealth. Under Virginia law, a social security number is required for licensure.