Mason impacts students, and students impact the world!
Mason Impact is George Mason University’s commitment to offer every student transformative learning experiences. Mason Impact offers high-impact opportunities to all students, designed to develop problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills, and preparing them to make a real impact in the world. Mason Impact is grounded in a strong education that explores how knowledge is created and used, investigates local and global challenges from multiple perspectives, and helps students develop relevant questions. Mason Impact Projects allow students to use inquiry methods to answer their questions and learn to communicate their results. These experiences are transformative; students are introduced to a more complicated and interesting world in which they can have an impact. Mason Impact offers experiences and projects in Global Education, Civic Engagement, Research, and Entrepreneurship. Students who successfully complete Mason Impact projects and/or participate in study abroad earn special transcript notations highlighting their experiences.
Office of Community Engagement and Civic Learning (CECiL)
The Office of Community Engagement and Civic Learning facilitates
collaboration between Mason faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the
community for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge, resources,
and service in the context of partnership and reciprocity.
CECiL offers several opportunities for engaging with civic and community
- Funding undergraduate community engaged research and service opportunities through the Summer Team Impact Opportunity and Undergraduate Research Scholars Program
- Supporting courses with a Civic Engagement component through Mason Impact
- Offering Federal Work Study community engaged research assistantships
- Facilitating campus wide programming around voter engagement and participatory democracy
- Connecting students with faculty mentors doing community engaged research and teaching
Office of Entrepreneurship and Innovation (ENTR)
Entrepreneurship and innovation is a featured part of the Mason Impact experience and is vital to our economy and our communities. As a world-class research institution, Mason has an important role to play in educating the next generation of entrepreneurs and business leaders. Becoming an entrepreneur when you're still in school has some built-in advantages.
If you are thinking about starting a business or have a breakthrough invention, our personalized approach will connect you with the resources to move your business forward. Our team of experts will also help find and facilitate access to capital for promising initiatives.
You'll also have the opportunity to test your ideas, learn what works and what doesn't, and pivot early to avoid costly mistakes. Our programs will teach you to approach problems with a lean mindset.
We'll help you with:
- Concept definition.
- Intellectual property protection.
- Company formation.
- Business planning.
- Product-market fit.
- Go-to-market planning.
- Financial modeling.
- Co-founder/partner recruitment.
Office of Student Scholarship, Creative Activities, & Research (OSCAR)
The Office of Student Scholarship, Creative Activities, & Research (OSCAR) is home to Mason's award-winning undergraduate research program, connecting undergraduate students and faculty through course-based , co-curricular, and independent scholarly projects. Undergraduate research is a featured Mason Impact experience.
OSCAR offers several programs that make scholarship central to the undergraduate experience at Mason, by:
- Helping undergraduates students find faculty mentors
- Funding undergraduate research and creative projects through the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program and Summer Team Impact Opportunities
- Providing funding for travel to conferences through the Undergraduate Student Travel Fund
- Supporting Research, Scholarship Intensive Courses and Mason Impact Courses
- Hosting the annual Celebration of Student Scholarship and Impact
- Offering OSCAR Federal Work Study Research Assistantships
Please visit our website for more information.