The Health Practice Management undergraduate certificate provides students with the knowledge and skills to function in a medical office practice or clinic as a member of the team providing administrative support services for a variety of office/clinic functions. This includes entry level skills in managing the practice environment and administrative processes that support the delivery of health services in practitioner offices and clinics. Students will learn about the healthcare services environment in the United States, including regulatory requirements. financial management of health care services (completion of forms for office billing and insurance reimbursement), scheduling of patients and staff, and working collaboratively with health care providers and other administrative support staff.
Graduates will be able to operate as administrative support staff in various healthcare practice settings and clinics, including physician and dentist offices, freestanding urgent care clinics, mental health offices, ambulatory surgery, and physical therapy practices.
Admission to George Mason University is required for admission to the certificate program. All students will be required to be admitted to George Mason University as an undergraduate student. The following factors are considered holistically when reviewing applications for undergraduate admission to George Mason University:
- Cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) for coursework completed in grades 9 through 12 along with level of difficulty of courses selected, particularly in core academic courses. An official transcript or equivalent document (e.g., General Educational Development [GED]) is required.
- Scores from Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), Reasoning Test, or American College Test (ACT). No minimum score requirement.
- Personal statement.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a guidance counselor and one from a teacher or current employer.
- Employment experience, extracurricular activities and community service participation information (optional).
- Currently enrolled Mason students with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, who wish to add the certificate to their baccalaureate program of study.
Applicants who are non-native English speakers will be required to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. Minimum scores:
- TOEFL Internet-based Test (IBT): 88
- IELTS: 6.5
Completion of at least two English composition courses with grades of C or better in each course may be submitted in lieu of the TOEFL or IELTS exams.
Students will have four years to complete the Certificate and should be familiar with the university-wide requirements AP.5.3.5 Undergraduate Certificates.
Total credits: 18
This certificate may be pursued on a full-or part-time basis.
|HAP 309||Healthcare Accounting||3|
|HAP 312||Healthcare Law||3|
|HAP 360||Introduction to Health Information Systems||3|
|HAP 392||Human Resources Management in Healthcare||3|
|HAP 410||Introduction to Health/Medical Practice Management||3|
|HAP 411||Introduction to Revenue Cycle Management||3|