Graduate International Pathways to master's degrees in the School of Business
INTO Mason provides four Graduate International Pathways for international students to enter various graduate degrees in the School of Business at George Mason University. The pathways give students the academic foundation, essential language skills, and cultural knowledge to successfully move on to their master's degree programs. For most students, enrolling in a Graduate International Pathway will add one or two additional semesters to their overall master's degree program.
The following are the available Graduate International Pathways at INTO Mason to degrees in the School of Business at GMU:
- Business Administration (MBA)
- (Business) Management
- Real Estate Development
The following are the types of pathways available:
- One Term pathways (Accelerated): These pathways lead students through their first semester of graduate school. Upon completion of all matriculation requirements, students will move on to their degree-seeking program often with several graduate credits completed as determined by the graduate degree program. Three of the four Business pathways have one-term options available (all except Accounting).
- Two Term pathways (Standard): These pathways lead students through their first year of graduate school. Upon completion of all matriculation requirements, students will move on to their degree-seeking program often with several graduate credits completed as determined by the graduate degree program. All four Business pathways have two-term options available.
- Three Term pathway (Comprehensive): This pathway is currently only available to students enrolling in the Accounting pathway and is designed to start students a semester earlier than the standard two-term pathway. In their first semester, students take Academic English classes along with one Accounting pre-requisite class and a language support class. Their second and third semesters then follow the standard two-term pathway in Accounting.
- Bridge pathways: These pathways provide foundational coursework designed to substitute for an additional year of undergraduate academic coursework, to render students with three-year baccalaureate degrees eligible to move on to their graduate degree program. Students will often move on to those degree-seeking programs with several graduate credits completed as determined by the graduate degree program. All four Business pathways have Bridge options available.
Graduate International Pathways are designed for international students who:
- Need further English language development. Students who require a moderate amount of English language support can enter all available International Pathways to strengthen their language proficiency and ensure their long-term academic success
- Require a fourth year of undergraduate study. Students who hold three-year baccalaureate degrees that are not formally evaluated as equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor's degree may enter many Graduate International Pathways. For these students, their pathway acts as a "bridge" enhancing their international educational background with academic coursework to meet the eligibility for admission to a GMU graduate degree program
- Fall short of meeting the minimum GPA or admission test score requirements
- Need to improve study skills for success in their chosen field of study
- Any or all of the above
Administered through INTO Mason in partnership with the academic units across the university, the courses in each Graduate International Pathway are taught by highly qualified Mason instructional faculty members and supported by International Pathways academic advisors.
Students enrolled in any Graduate International Pathway should review the program's student guidebook for specific details related to program requirements and expectations.