This is an archived copy of the 2019-2020 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

AP.2 Course Information

AP.2.1 General Information

Each course indicates:

  • the number of credits earned
  • course equivalencies 
  • the repeat status (see AP.1.3.4 for policies regarding repeating a course)
Not Repeatable for Credit student may attempt the course unlimited times during academic career but will receive credit towards the degree only once
Repeatable within Term for Credit student may register and receive credit for more than one section of the course within the same academic term
Repeatable within Degree for Credit student may register and receive credit for more than one section of the course during academic career
Limited to 2 Attempts similar to ‘Not Repeatable’ but student may only attempt the course twice during academic career
Limited to 3 Attempts similar to ‘Not Repeatable’ but student may only attempt the course three times during academic career
  • prerequisites
  • corequisites
  • registration restrictions
  • schedule type

Individual instructors set hours for independent study, readings, topics, or similar courses. If a course is listed as having an equivalent course, students may not receive credit for both courses.

AP.2.2 Schedule Types

Activity-Based (ACT) Students receive instruction in a physical-discipline and then practice that discipline under instructor supervision. May include sports or drill formation exercises.
Dissertation (DIS) Student is enrolled in a course working toward a doctoral dissertation supervised by a faculty member. Course must be numbered 998 or 999.
Fieldwork (FLW) Coursework primarily consists of specialized fieldwork experiences, which may include professional licensure (in social work, nursing, legal, counseling, business) volunteering, service learning, science fieldwork, etc)
Independent Study (IND) Refers to those situations where students work primarily on their own initiative on a project through reading and writing. Contact with an instructor may be one-on-one or in small groups and is generally only on a few arranged occasions throughout the semester to receive assignments, have progress checked, etc. Examples include: directed reading, problems and special projects.
Internship (INT) Refers to those situations where the student applies previously-acquired knowledge and skills in a supervised situation which approximates the conditions under which those knowledge/skills will ultimately be used, usually off campus. Examples: practicums, on-the-job training, work experience programs, cooperative education programs, apprenticeships, externships, preceptorships, etc. Excludes Student Teaching PreK-12.
Laboratory (LAB) Instructional activities in settings providing specialized facilities or equipment for students to master the subject matter either by performing experiments or practicing the skills being learned. The instructor generally supervises, assists, answers questions, etc., rather than making presentations.
Lecture (LEC) Primary organization of class instruction. Instructors mainly present material by talking to the class about the subject matter.
Private Music Instruction (PMI) Student receives one-on-one instruction from faculty member for a specific musical instrument.
Recitation (RCT) Refers to a secondary organization of class instruction, typically smaller groups reviewing or discussing material previously presented in a lecture section.
Research (RSC) Individualized research, creative, or scholarly projects that are not for graduate thesis or dissertation.
Seminar (SEM) Course material is primarily delivered via small group discussion led by a faculty member.
Studio (STU) Refers to situations where the student is engaged in the practice and use of techniques for productions in the areas of visual and performing arts. This instruction is used to further advance student's skills in the course-specific field. The instructor role varies from direct assistance to simple availability for questions and supervision.
Student Teaching (STC) Practicum placement in schools PreK-12.
Thesis (THS) Student is enrolled in a course working toward a master's thesis supervised by a faculty member. Course must be numbered 798 or 799.

AP.2.3 Contact Hours

University coursework is measured in terms of quantity and quality. A credit normally represents one hour per week of lecture or recitation, or not fewer than two hours per week of laboratory work, throughout a semester. The number of credits is a measure of quantity. The grade is a measure of quality.

AP.2.4 Course Numbering

Note: Course numbers which start with a U or L or end with a T are created for transfer credit purposes only.

100-199 Lower-division undergraduate courses; primarily for freshman
200-299 Lower-division undergraduate courses; primarily for sophomores
300-399 Upper-division undergraduate courses; primarily for juniors
400-499 Upper-division undergraduate courses; primarily for seniors
500-699 Graduate-level courses; primarily for graduate, bachelor’s/accelerated master’s and non-degree graduate students. Advanced undergraduate students may request permission to register for these courses by using the Graduate Course for Undergraduate credit or the Reserve Graduate credit forms. Appropriate approval is required and is not guaranteed. Some restrictions may apply.
700-799 Graduate-level courses; primarily for graduate and non-degree graduate students. Some restrictions may apply.
800-999 Doctoral-level courses; primarily for doctoral students

Special Course Number Designations

798 Master's research
799 Master's thesis
790, 890 Supervised practicum
794, 894 Internship
796, 896 Directed reading and research courses for master’s and doctoral students
998 Doctoral dissertation proposal
999 Doctoral dissertation research

AP.2.5 University Courses

University (UNIV) courses are special undergraduate academic seminars that appeal to a wide range of majors. These courses fall into three general categories: transitional, interdisciplinary honors, and special topics. To encourage interaction among students and faculty, many of these courses have smaller class sizes. Some UNIV courses satisfy Mason Core requirements.

University Transitions Courses

This series of courses focuses on transition through the various stages of college. UNIV 100 – 199 courses help first-year college students adjust academically and socially, hone decision-making skills, learn about services and opportunities for involvement on campus, and solidify resources and techniques for assessing and improving their academic performance. UNIV 200 – 299 course topics focus on success in the second year of college and include choosing a major or career or participating in a Living Learning Community. UNIV 300 – 399 courses have three tracks: the first is for transfer students making the transition to a new university, the second focuses on career readiness for internships and research experiences, and the third is designed for specific groups of student leaders. UNIV 400 – 499 courses have a focus on research and scholarship, as well as life beyond college in the workplace or graduate school.

University Special Topics Courses

Upper-level University courses are open to all students unless specific prerequisites are indicated. They are usually repeated offerings.