The certificate is a specialized, graduate-level program for advanced musicians who desire to further develop and refine their performance art. The certificate program is a two-year course of study requiring at least two consecutive semesters of residence. A total of 32 credits is required. Advisor's approval is required for each semester's enrollment.
This certificate may be earned on a full time or part time basis.
- An artist certificate application and current résumé
- A bachelor's degree in music or equivalent (as evaluated by the School of Music Admissions Committee)
- Transcripts from previous educational institutions
- One-page written statement of student's goals and interest in the program
- Two letters of recommendation
- Recording of a live performance of solo works from the standard repertory.
Applicants should refer to the graduate admissions page of the School of Music website for specific details on what is required and how to submit their materials. Applicants must perform an audition recital and be interviewed on the Mason Campus. Applicants will be notified of the date and time of the audition and interview.
Total credits: 32
Studies in Performance
|Twelve credits of||12|
|Applied Music in Voice|
|Four credits of||4|
|Topics in Music|
|MUSI 526||Performance Seminar and Vocal Literature for Singers and Accompanists II||2|
|MUSI 541||Diction for Singers I: Italian Diction and English Diction||2|
|or MUSI 542||Diction for Singers II: German Diction and French Diction|
Support Studies in Ensemble Performance plus Electives
|Nine credits of||9|
|Graduate Chamber Ensemble|
and Opera and Musical Theater Ensemble
|One credit of||1|
|Graduate Lecture Recital (1 credit)|
|MUSI 790||Graduate Recital||1|
|Select 1 credit of elective||1|